Rebecca C. Shankman
Rebecca C. Shankman is a partner at Feldman Jackson. For nearly 15 years, she has practiced exclusively in the area of family law in the District of Columbia and Maryland, which includes divorce, custody and child support, division of property, spousal support (alimony), and prenuptial agreements.
Rebecca believes that the specifics of each client’s case and needs should be examined to determine the appropriate solution-oriented approach. While Rebecca has extensive experience in litigation, and a special interest in high-conflict custody cases, she makes it a priority to advocate strongly for her clients through a variety of alternative dispute resolution options, including mediation, Collaborative Law, and negotiated settlements. Rebecca is a trained and skilled mediator and is often appointed as a mediator/ADR facilitator by the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
Read Full Bio
Rebecca understands that, when children are involved, the end of a marriage does not mean the end of a family. She recognizes it is important for the children that each parent maintains a positive working relationship with his/her co-parent.
Contributing to the greater community is important to Rebecca and in doing so, she has served as a Guardian ad Litem and as a mentor to other attorneys in the D.C. Bar Advocacy and Justice Clinic. Rebecca has been a contributing author of the Custody Section in the Domestic Relations chapter of the District of Columbia Practice manual. She has also been a regular volunteer at the D.C. Bar Advice and Referral Clinic and served as an Attorney-Negotiator volunteer in D.C. Superior Court.
Rebecca has been recognized by her peers and given the highest rating—AV—by Martindale-Hubbell. In 2016-2018, she was selected to the Washington DC Super Lawyers list and in 2013-2015, she was selected to the Washington DC Rising Star Super Lawyers list.
After graduating law school, prior to entering private practice, Rebecca served as law clerk to the Honorable John M. Mott of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia.
Rebecca resides in the District of Columbia with her son and dog.
- Property Division
- Spousal support/Alimony
- Collaborative Divorce
- Child custody, including relocation
- Child support
- Prenuptial agreements
- High net worth divorce
- Family law litigation
Professional Memberships and Activities
- District of Columbia Bar
- Former Co-Chair, Family Law Steering Committee
- D.C. Association of Collaborative Professionals (DCACP)
- Past President
- Board Member
- Collaborative Project of D.C.
- Founding Board Member
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Association of Family & Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Maryland Chapter-Vice President
- Maryland State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- Named in Top-Rated Family Law Attorneys in Washington, D.C. by Super Lawyers (2016-2019)
- Named a Rising Star Family Law Attorneys in Washington, D.C. by Super Lawyers (2013-2015)
- Martindale-Hubbell “AV” rated
- Custody Section in the Domestic Relations chapter of the District of Columbia Practice Manual, Contributing Author.
- Washington College of Law, American University, J.D. cum laude (2002)
- Bates College, B.A., with Honors (1997)
- Maryland (2002)
- District of Columbia (2004)